Thursday, November 09, 2006

Diabetes blog day

A Lifetime Of Diabetes

Go read Sarah's story. I defy you not to get emotional about it.




O has had diabetes for nine years. I used to get very upset every year when her anniversary rolled around, but the last few years, I've hardly thought of it. It's just our lives. It's what we do every day. She doesn't complain about it much. Sometimes I think she thinks it's kind of cool to have diabetes because she gets to discuss medical things with her friends. It makes her feel important. (She also thinks it's cool when she gets a cut or gets sick or injures herself in some way. Future Hypochodriac Drama Queen over here. She's going to be a doctor's worst nightmare.) It makes her feel like she's got something over her friends, something that makes her cool.

I like that. That sounds weird, doesn't it? But I like that she thinks that diabetes makes her cool. She doesn't think it makes her weird or less than anyone else. It makes her cool. She gets to wear a pump - she thinks that awesome. Her friends think it's awesome.

I know that there will be times that diabetes will hinder her, or that she will percieve it as a hindrance, real or imagined. We've had those times and I know we'll have them again. But right now, she's just fine with her disease. More than fine. She owns it. She's proud of how she handles her disease, of how she handles life with her disease and I'm proud of her.

She's just living in the now, enjoying her life as it is now, not worrying about the future, not thinking about what might have been or what she might be missing, but just enjoying the now. And right now, that's all that matters.

20 comments:

Sandra Miller said...

Wonderful, Julia.

I smiled reading this-- made me think of the many times I've watched Joseph demo his meter for his friends, or pull out his pump without hesitation when another kid asked to see it.

Yes, there are times -- when he's very high or low -- when this stuff gets to him.

To both of us.

But far more often, he just goes about the business of being an eleven-year-old kid who loves to play baseball, skateboard, and goof on his friends.

And you're right, for now that's all that matters.

Tekakwitha said...

I'd probably really enjoy meeting both you AND O. You are both amazing people.

tek

Kerri. said...

I love O's attitude. And yours. And I'm right there alongside you, being proud of O for being proud.

Kassie said...

I think it's cool, too. It sucks, of course, but it makes me special (in a good way).

Kudos to you & O!

Allison said...

I'm coming to CT in March. Is there even the slightest chance I could meet you and the Amazing O?

She really is amazing. She seems like a very mature young lady, very strong to deal with all the cards life has dealt her. But one of her lucky cards was definitely having you as a mom. :-)

Happy D-Blog Day, Julia.

Shannon said...

She owns it...that's cool. May she remain in the now for as long as possible.

LJ said...

She wouldn't have this attitude without a great mom backing her up and instilling such positivity in her. Way to go for acceptance!

Sarah said...

Awesome! There does come a point in your life where you do truly own your diabetes. Once you reach that point, it seriously pisses you off if other people try to control it for you. Thank you for the call-out!

Christine said...

O sounds like she IS cool!

Jamie said...

I love how O is in control of her Diabetes :)

I can't wait to get to that point with Danielle.

You're doing a great job with her.

Kelsey said...

Julia,

I was trying to sound mature in my post today, but really I feel the same way as O... being diabetic makes us different, which is cool!

Thanks for sharing this perspective, I totally agree :)

Anonymous said...

I think both you and O are amazing and inspirational.

If not a mother... said...

O has a great attitude and I hope to "hear" from her one of these days on here.

Minnesota Nice said...

With all of O's knowledge and competency, I think she'd make a great doctor someday!

Washington Crunchy Mama said...

Very cool, and YOU are clearly a rockin' Mom!

art-sweet said...

I didn't feel that way when I was a O's age. I wish I had.

And so on this d-blog day I just want to give a big huge shout out to the wonderful dia-moms (and dads) - you, Sandra, Penny, Vivian, Jamie, and now, Sarah as well, who have done such a great job empowering your kids so that they see their diabetes in such a positive light.

Anonymous said...

What Kerri said, Julia. I'm proud of you both - O for living her life without being hung up on this disease - and you for helping to give her the strength of character it takes to do that.

Anonymous said...

So well said, as usual.

Happy D-Blog day, lady.

George said...

WE need O to school us in Coolness!

Scott K. Johnson said...

Very cool indeed!