Thursday, April 27, 2006

It's a good thing I'm pregnant

...otherwise I'd be an alcoholic.

Before I start today's rant (I'm ranty-girl lately, huh?), I wanted to say thank you for all the nice comments on yesterday's post. You guys are great. I really appreciate it.

Now. Yet another diatribe:

Honest to god, my mother is going to drive me into the loony bin.

My son, A, is a senior in high school. He's heavily involved in drama and the music department and they are putting on Footloose next Friday and Saturday night. A has a good-sized part in it - not the lead, but the lead's best friend. Going by the amount of rehearsals these kids are putting in, it's going to be a good show.

So I called my mother to see if she could watch The Boo on Friday and go to the show on Saturday. TCBIM is working and we need the money, so he can't do it. And my sister wants to charge me $30. Um, no. You're 35 years old and I've asked you to babysit exactly ONCE, so no, I won't be paying you.

My mother said no. Said she wants to go to the show on Friday, since she can't go on Saturday. She said "Well, I guess you can't go, then."

Is it just me? Seriously. Am I insane to be making such a big deal out of this? Because I've been sitting at my desk crying about it for half an hour now. This is A's last thing in high school. I want to go. I don't get to see him that often because he lives with his dad (another story for another time), although we talk on the phone a lot. And I want to see this.

In desperation, I emailed a friend of mine. We share a daycare provider and she also has a CWD and a kick ass babysitter. She's going to give me the babysitter's name and also offered to watch The Boo for me if the babysitter was busy. She's such a nice woman (and she's blonde, tiny and adorable, too *sigh*).

Why can't my family be a bit more like that? I don't ask for a lot - I'm not out gallivanting all the time; TCBIM and I never go anywhere without the kids. Until last Friday, when we went to that concert, I don't think we'd been out alone in 5 or 6 months, at least.

I'm just so frustrated by them. And I hate that they make me cry. I hate crying.

10 comments:

floreksa said...

{hugs}

If you get desperate...I'm down the street and I'm sure SWCAL and Boo would have a ball!

Jess said...

Julia -

Your Mom is shallow, selfish and stupid. (Or at least has shown herself to be over the years a lot!) The sad thing is that you expect her to be better than she is.

(I do the same thing. I wonder - after they taught us all the lessons about sharing and looking out for the next person and how not to be selfish, did they just *erase* those from their minds??)

Big hugs, darlin'. YOU are not selfish, shallow, or stupid, and I'm sorry you're getting this stress right now.

J said...

WOW your sister wanted to charge you ! eww if I lived near by I would come babysit I have great cridentials LOL I hope the babysitter calls you and not to worry you will get there... crying I get that too I am always crying over my family seems I keep thinking they will turn into the people I aways wanted ends up they are what they are and it sucks ! and remember you emotions are out of wack with the little being growing inside of you :-) hugs hang in there

Erica said...

I'd cry too... Your mother is a piece of work!

Do any of O's friends have older siblings that babysit?

I hope it all works out :-( Would it be too awful to bring Boo as a last resort?

Major Bedhead said...

She'd never sit thru it. I'd be out in the lobby, chasing her around for two hours. I can stay home and do that.

I think I have it worked out with my friend. She'll watch Boo if her babysitter isn't available.

Shannon said...

I really wish your family was more supportive. If I lived closer, I'd absolutely babysit for you :)

Your family sucks.

Joke said...

I'd Benadryl the kid, but then again, I have a Y chromosome.

Seriously...it seems you scooped up the good stuff from your gene pool and just RAN with it like a muhfuh.

$30 to babysit for your sister? Doesn't ANYONE have any sense of sacrifice for those whom one loves?

"Is it just me or has the world always been like this and I've been too wrapped up in myself to notice?"

THIS IS @#$%ing LUNACY.

-J.

P.S. Instead of crying, I'd be all like "No problem, Mom. I'm just jotting this down for when the time comes to pick out your nursing home." or "Don't worry, Sis, it gives me an idea of what to quote you if you ever need a kidney."

Major Bedhead said...

No, my sister is all about money. She always wants some, but she's not going to get it from me.


Thanks, though, Joke.

Anonymous said...

What an ugly thing for your mother to say. BAH.

If I were there, I'd babysit for you. I'd even bring over a plate of brownies to cheer you up.

Andrea said...

Ummm.... I really don't know how to respond to this one. I think it MAJORLY sucks that they are so unwilling to help you out. I don't understand that, but I guess it's not that uncommon.

I hope that you were able to go to the show and that you had a great time...