Thursday, March 01, 2007

Ho Lee Fuck

Not a new dish down at the local Chinese take away. No, no. That was my reaction upon calling around today to find daycare for the two rugrats.

I cannot get them into the same family daycare. No one has any openings, especially not infant openings. So I started calling centers.

I'm starting to think that I'm not going to be able to afford to work. The one that's closest to me would charge me $470 a WEEK for two kids. The next one on my list wants a mere $435 a week.

I have a call in to this community action program. I'm hoping they have some less expensive alterntives. I just can't afford anything even close to those rates. Not if I want to actually make money. There's not much point in me going to work if I'm only going to bring home $25 after I pay for daycare.

What the hell am I going to do?

8 comments:

Jenn said...

OMG.. that is insane! My husband has been talking about me going to work soon.. but its the same situation here. I will be working to put the kids in daycare. Is it worth it?? Dont think so.

Good luck.. I wish I had some sound advice.. but I dont :(

Lara said...

boo! :( i'm sorry to hear that. i suppose if finances are the primary reason to go back to work, it doesn't make much sense. i know when i had my first nanny job, the mom was basically making enough to pay me, but she worked because she cared about her job too much to leave it and for her, personally, she needed to be working to stay sane and happy. so for that family, it made sense. i'm sorry for the yucky situation, though!

Cat, Galloping said...

around here, that would be the price for ONE. maybe for two a nanny would be cheaper?

Jess said...

No ideas from I's playgroup?

You might call the local church and see if they have a program or can recommend anyone (you're new in the neighborhood if not a parishoner!)

I found C and R's babysitter by asking all the women with young kids at work for names.

Good luck, J. That sucks.

Christine said...

Are there any home centers that might be cheaper?

Allison said...

I don't know if this is at all a feasible option with your house or finances, but I know a family that has 4 kids and the parents both work, so they have an au pair to help out. Maybe something like that would help?

Anonymous said...

We looked at the total cost and we "make" more money if I stay home. The amount I would make against the expense of child care, job clothing, gas to get to the job, the little odds and ends of eating out due to job = more expense than bringing money in.

Not worth it. But I am looking into something for a few hours at night when my husband can watch our daughter.

Good luck

Anonymous said...

Julia-

I know a woman who runs a home daycare and is losing two of her kids, they are moving South. She might be able to take them, she is a doll, you would like her. She is right around the corner from you too. I have her number, email me at my work email or call me if you are interested!

Deb