Monday, June 18, 2007

B, B, B. What begins with B?

Babushkas, babies and bed-time stories, B, b, B.



My grandmother's father made this doll's cradle for my grandmother when she was a child. He died when my grandmother was 5 or 6 years old. This was one of the few things she still had from her childhood - my grandmother led a paripatetic life, so anything she saved was small and portable. I've had it up on a shelf in Boo's room, but of course, any shelf is meant to be climbed and she brought it down and left it in the kitchen where the cat appropriated it for a nap. I kicked him out (he's a puker) but before I did, I had to snap a picture. And now, I hope I've planted that goddamned song in your head because it's been in mine for days now. You should all share my pain. That's the worst song ever written.



Baby in a babushka. She looks like a little refugee in that kerchief. And I did buy them some bathing suits - this was taken in early May, when it got really warm for a couple of days. Of course, it then cooled off and rained for, like, forever. It's because we got a real pool (well, a real inflatable pool - we don't have the cash for an honest-to-god pool). It's like washing your car - it's guaranteed to rain the next day. (Local D.O.C. people - dig Boo's shirt.)

The first blackberries of the season. And some Rice Krispies. You can just barely see her two teeth in there. She's had those two teeth for two months now and no sign of any more coming thru.



It may take a minute for this video to load. Boo, reading me a story.

15 comments:

Lara said...

wow, those berries look mighty tasty! :)

MsPrufrock said...

Haha. P has a baby kerchief too, and I looooove the peasant look of it. I talk about rough days spent picking root vegetables, but I just get strange looks.

As for the teeth, P is 11 months old today and her 3rd tooth has only just started to come through. The first two didn't even erupt until she was over 8 months old.

Adorable pictures and video by the way!

If not a mother... said...

love the cat picture (you knew I'd say that)...and the girls are too cute!

Shannon said...

Once upon a tiiiime.....

I LOVED that! OMG how adorable.

And can Bug get any cuter and prettier?

Washington Crunchy Mama said...

Once upon a time...omg how cute! What a sweet little voice she has.

Haha ok the cat ~ too funny.

Nicole P said...

I noticed the shirt immediately, Julia!

Love the photos.

And the video - amazing.

N

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

"Once upon a time there was a fish. The end."

Love it! And I love her t-shirts.

Oh! And the baby! Love the blackberry face.

floreksa said...

Ally loved the story! Boo had to "read" to her 6 times. LOL of course now she's asking for the book "that the baby was reading".

Anonymous said...

Very Cute

Anonymous said...

Once upon a time...that's so cute, that is EXACTLY how Katy "reads" stories to me, too.

Stomper Girl said...

And the nominees for Major Cuteness are : Cat in a cradle, kids in kerchiefs in the pool, happy blackberried baby, and the storygirl.

The winner of the Maximum Cuteness (by a small margin) .... definitely once upon a time there was a fish the end.

Jamie said...

I loved this post! Those girls are adorable. I keep hearing "Once upon a tiiime..." in my head with her little voice LOL. Too cute!

OhTheJoys said...

I'm just stuck on the berries, friend. Those are my favorites!

Paige said...

The first time she reads the story does she say,"Oh, another page," like she was surprised to find it there? Too cute!

Josi said...

That was so great!!!! I loved the story and it was a little bit freaky because you and I sound exactly the same on video. Seriously, we have the same voice which makes all of your exclamations and sayings so much more realistic now.
Bug is getting so big and they are both adorable.