I will now regale you with five random facts about me. You lucky, lucky people.
1. I am a complete and utter book snob. Not about the types of books people read, because I'll read just about anything and generally enjoy it immensely, but people who don't read are like alien beings to me. How can you NOT read? When I was younger, I would be so desperate for reading materials that I'd read the backs of cereal boxes. I used to make my parents leave the hall light on so that I could hang off the end of my bed and read by the light coming thru the open door. I used to hide books in the towel cupboard in the bathroom and if I had to get up in the middle of the night to pee, I'd sit there until I had toilet-seat impressions on my ass.
2. I swear like a sailor. My favourite word is fuck. It's short and emphatic and I like it. A lot. I'm also worried that this will be Isobel's first word, since I say it quite often while I'm driving.
3. I dread telling my mother that I'm pregnant. I'm 39 and married, but she will make me feel like I'm 15 and the stupidest person alive.
4. I try to be above this sort of thing, but I'm just longing for a diamond necklace or anniversary ring. I see ads in The New Yorker or Vanity Fair and I just drool. I don't know what it is about them, but diamonds and sapphires make me lose all sense of reason. If they're set in platinum, I'm done for. It's so shallow and materialistic, but I can't help it. Ok, I could help it, I just don't want to.
5. There are days when I wish I didn't have all this responsibility and mommy-ness to deal with. Days when I envy my single, childless friends with a green-eyed jealousy that's not pretty to behold. Days when I just don't want to make dinner, do laundry, check homework, do dishes, bathe the baby, Hoover the floor or feed the cat. Days when I just want to come home, sit on the couch, bury my nose in a good book and have cheesecake for dinner.
Ok. I will now pass along this infection. 'cause I'm a sharing kinda girl. IO don't know how to make those pretty links that just say the blog name, so you'll have to just pretend they're there.