Saturday, October 13, 2007

In Which I Swoon Over The Red Sox And Discover I Am Old

I pink puffy heart Mike Lowell. Papi and Manny get all the glory, all the media, all the attention, and there's Mike Lowell, quietly belting things over the fucking Monster and making incredible plays at third.

I love post-season play. Love it.

Do you remember the mug? I blogged about it a while back, but I can't seem to find the post. I have this mug that I love. I got it at a craft fair. I am not a craft fair person. At all. There's usually entirely too many booths exhibiting the gingham dog and calico cat type of craft and that sort of thing makes my teeth itch. But this craft fair is different. It's juried, first of all, which means the wares exhibited tend to be less of the hearts-and-flowers/crocheted lady toilet paper covers and more of the turned wooden bowl/Reiku pottery type of thing. It's nice stuff.

Anyway. I bought a mug there about 6 years ago. I loved that mug. It fit perfectly into my hand and had a great handle with a spot on top to rest my finger. It was a gorgeous shade of green with a sort of oriental feel to the design. A few months ago, it developed a crack. I was devastated.

Oh, I found it. (Nothing like a little stream of consciousness blogging, huh?)




Pretty, no?

I went to this fair today specifically to find this potter. And was he there? Nope. There were lots of other potters (and a wonderful photographer from NYC - Zim Photography - if I had money to spare, there were four or five of her photos that I would have bought in a heartbeat, the one I linked to is the one I loved the best, but they were all stunning.) but none of them had just the right mug. Some came close, but alas, no dice. So once again, I'm mugless. Well, I'm not mugless, I just don't have MY mug.

It's ridiculous how attached I am to this stupid mug. I realize that.



But just on the off chance that any of you recognize the potter's signature, I'm asking again. Anyone have any ideas?

And why does my post title say that I'm old? Well, I'll tell you. Not only did I go to a craft fair today and thoroughly enjoy myself, I also listened to A Prairie Home Companion on NPR on the way home. And laughed my ass off.

This distresses me. Why? Because I used to roll my eyes and groan at my mother every Saturday night when she'd squeal and run to the stereo to change the station from WBCN over to WBUR. "God," I used to think, "how can she find this crap funny? She's so oooooooooold. She's so not cool. I'm never going to be like that." Yeah, well, be careful what you think about your mother. Some day you'll find yourself driving home from a craft fair, giggling away to Garrison Keillor. And I'll be there saying "Told you so."

*sigh*

14 comments:

SUEB0B said...

You expect me to concentrate on your pretty mug photos when I am still silently wretching over your paean to the Red Sox? Oh, please.

Go, Dbacks!! Or Rockies! Whoever.

Unknown said...

I just watched the live game over here in Taiwan, wherein the Sox made me cry, after being tied 6-6 and losing terribly at the end to the Indian. WTF?

Oh, and I totally understand the love of a good mug. There is nothing more lovely in the morning than enjoy your hot beverage (tea, coffee, hot chocolate, water with lemon, whatever) out of the perfect mug. I hope someone can help you.

BTW, I'm only 30 and found myself really enjoing "Home Companion" on the radio, as well. hee hee.

Maude Lynn said...

The loss of a perfect mug is a loss, indeed. I totally get it!

Chicky Chicky Baby said...

I upload PHC to my iPod and then listen to it while I'm cooking dinner. Love it. And yes I'm okay with that. I'm old.

And Lowell? Love him too. But I feel the need to cry just a little over last night's loss.

Unknown said...

Last night was just embarrassing.

moosh in indy. said...

Here I am thinking "But wasn't PHC just a movie with that whore Lindsey Lohan?"
I need culture.
Art Fairs and NPR here I come.

George said...

I listed to PHC all the time! I listen to NPR every morning.

I thought I was soooo cool! Thank you for clearing that up!

;)

Kimberly said...

Redsox is baseball, right?

I'm old too. Embrace it. You get to stay up as late as you want.

Shannon said...

Are you in mourning?

MsPicketToYou said...

Listen, when you consider stealing Yankee magazine from the Doctor's office, then you really start thinking you are old. Old is the new young!

Naomi said...

I too am attached to a mug from a craft show. It is rounded in the same way, and fits perfectly into the hand.

If the craft fair is juried and (hopefully) organized, you can probably go to the fair coordinators and ask them for a list of crafters from a number of years ago. They also may recognize the signature.

The picture is a bit blurry. If you can get a clear one I will show it to the art teacher where I work, who is also a potter & exhibits in many places. Of course we are in MD, not MA, so it is a long shot, but you never know.

Anonymous said...

I've never listened to PHC... honestly didn't even know about it until the movie came out (which I didn't see... I am anti-Lindsay Lohan). And my AM radio ususally only gets play time for Jim Rome. I pink puffy heart my Romey.

Jane, Pinks & Blues

OhTheJoys said...

I love PHC & the mug.

kittenpie said...

They are not handmade pottery, but denby makes some really nice mugs. They sit in a hand well, have a nice heft to them, and come in some lovely finishes. Just a thought!