Monday, January 19, 2009

There Has Never Been Anything False About Hope

I'm keeping Boo home from school tomorrow so we can watch the inauguration. I know she's only 4 and will probably drive me nuts begging to watch Blue's Clues or *shudder* Lazy Town, but I want her to see this, to witness this event. I want her to see an African American inaugurated as our next President.

Mostly what I want is for her to think it's not a big deal, that by the time she's old enough to understand politics, a black man being inaugurated will seem commonplace. That anyone, literally anyone, can be President - man, woman, black, white, Hispanic, Asian, green, whatever. That this will be the new normal.

I am giddy about tomorrow. I know that Obama is going to have a very tough road ahead of him, that this country is well and truly fucked in so many ways and that he can't do it all, but in spite of all of this, I still have hope, still have faith that things will change for the better now, that things will improve and that we can recover as a country, as one country, and hopefully as a country that isn't so radically divided politically.

I remember when Michelle Obama was slammed for making a speech when she said she was finally proud to be an American. Today, on the eve of this historic event, I'm feeling the same way. I'm feeling proud of this country. But mostly I'm feeling a hope that I haven't felt in years, hope instead of disgust, hope instead of despair. I feel hope. And that feels wonderful.

9 comments:

LauraJ said...

no more countdown ticker for when you know who leaves office! gosh those tickers were annoying! I remeber them as much as 3 or more years ago! But YAYYYYYY he's gone and the good guy is in!!

Anonymous said...

I know how you feel. I am for once really excited to watch a presidential inauguration. My daughter is only 11 weeks old, but I am looking forward to one day telling her how exciting this occasion truly is. Enjoy your day with your daughter tomorrow!

T- said...

Amen.

Have a great day with your daughter. I wish the wutz was old enough to understand it. It is an amazing time!

Unknown said...

VERY cool!

Anonymous said...

The period 11/4 - 1/20 seems like it took forever...

Jennifer said...

I was so proud of my country on November 4th.
And I am prouder today.
What a GREAT day!

sandy shoes said...

I watched with the Peanut, who's 4.5. She definitely understood that we have a new President, and that he made an important speech, and that Mommy was very, very happy about it.

Still, she was pissed it wasn't The Lion King.

Anonymous said...

What a day, what a day! I watched the inauguration at my office, and my daughter's kindergarten class watched it too. Amazing speech by our new President--I'm not ashamed to say that I nearly cried.

I'm definitely proud to be an American today, and I love being this hopeful for our future. It's rather unlike me, but I even downloaded the audio file of President Obama's speech from audible.com so that I can listen to it again and again. Can't wait.

Anonymous said...

I never understood why people gave Michelle Obama so much shit about that statement. I happen to think it's true for a LOT of people, myself included. This day made me proud to be an American and I can't remember when I last felt that way.