Tuesday, September 09, 2008

Addict

I know she has a problem. She tries to hide it, but she can't, not really.

When she's in the grips of it, she can't talk very well. Her words slur and she sometimes drools.

She hides them, thinking I won't find them and throw them out. I found one under the couch cushion, one buried in her blankets and one in her underwear drawer.

She does it under cover, hiding under the blankets, hoping I won't notice. And sometimes, I don't. Sometimes I miss that she has one, that she is, again, sneaking them.

She's not even four years old.

And she's an addict.

9 comments:

LauraJ said...

it could be worse.....i won't give an example for fear that it is worse ;)

Anonymous said...

Shortman was the same way. Except he gave his last one to my dad the February before he turned 5 (in October).

It was that or Kindergarten rehab.

crazymumma said...

oh dear. addiction is so ugly. Good luck. Perhpas an intervention?

MsPicketToYou said...

When the GFYO packed up all his beloved binkys to mail to all the "babies" who needed them (something someone told me to do, and I was desperate), he said,

"I hate dos babeez."

Mike said...

I sure I still have mine somewhere. I'll ask the wife...

BTW my middle child has been approved for the pump and monitor system (insurance is covering it).

elizasmom said...

Mine only recently got off the binks herself, so I know the heartbreak of addiction. I am kicking myself for never getting a photo of her in full addict mode — she used to fall asleep sucking on one, and clutching a half dozen or so in each hand, and sniff them. It was prize-winning weird, especially when she would impatiently reject that one in her mouth in favor of one of the sniffer ones. They all smelled like drool to me, but apparently there was a system.

Kelly said...

Oh, the binky! So hard to extricate from needy little fingers!

Josie said...

I loved the Binky when I was little too. Had a drawer full.
I kinda feel for her...

Anonymous said...

Perhaps your daughter & mine should attend a meeting together ;)

I have a jar full of them...I'm hoping by the time she goes to college that she won't need them anymore